General Websites related to web design:
- Creating Websites http://www.reviseict.co.uk/ks3/8.2/website_creation.shtml
- Effective ICT http://www.effectiveict.co.uk/
- Creating a School Website – Kent NGFL – http://www.kented.org.uk/ngfl/ict/webpub/index.htm – includes further useful links – e.g.
- The Sky’s the limit: Creating A School Website (Teachernet)
- Open Source Web Design http://www.oswd.org/
- Open Web Design – a group of designers and site owners sharing free web design templates and web design information http://www.openwebdesign.org/
Getting help with the web design process:
There are a number of useful online forums which provide help and ideas for those involved in web design and development at all levels of experience:
- Effective ICT Forums http://www.effectiveict.co.uk/forum/
- Web Design Forum (PC Advisor) http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/index.cfm?action=showforum&forumid=13 – an excellent place for seeking help and advice. A regularly used forum and a good source of ideas – well worth adding to favourites!
Web Publishing Software
Microsoft Frontpage and Macromedia Dreamweaver whilst not the only options are two of the leading software options. There are various comparisons available between the two products:
- FAQ – Dreamweaver or Front Page? http://p3t3.soe.purdue.edu/faqdream.htm
- Dreamweaver 8 or Frontpage? http://www.lowest-price-web-hosting.com/articles/Dreamweaver-FrontPage.shtml
Microsoft Front Page
- Frontpage in the Classroom http://www.actden.com/fp/
- Learn the Basics of Dreamweaver http://www.effectiveict.co.uk/training/dreamweaver/index.shtml (effectiveict.co.uk)
- Macromedia Studio 8 http://webdesign.about.com/od/dreamweaver/a/aa080805.htm
Macromedia Flash and Macromedia Fireworks – great additions for web development for image and graphic manipulation / creation and the development of dynamic content such as animations
- Fireworks: http://www.adobe.com/products/fireworks/
- Flash: http://store1.adobe.com/products/flash/flashpro/
Free Web Design Software
- WebPlus6 – Free website design and publishing software – includes downloadable tutorials. http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/software/WebPlus/default.asp
- A list of free HTML Editors, Web Editors, and WYSIWYG Web Editors and Site Builders http://www.thefreecountry.com/webmaster/htmleditors.shtml
Useful Resources / Links for use in Web Design:
Images / Sound
- Free Clip Art, Photos and Multimedia content for Webmasters http://www.cliphoto.com/index0.htm
- BigFoto – free photographs for downloading http://www.bigfoto.com/ – these can be used for non-commercial projects however a link needs to made back to the site – also they can not be uploaded to a website for the purposes of offering them for download (i.e. they couldn’t be added to an image gallery) – see the copyright / FAQ pages for further details http://www.bigfoto.com/copyright.htm
- The Wizard of Draws – free cartoons for use on personal webpages – free to use for non-commercial use http://www.wizardofdraws.com/ (a credit back to the designer and link to site required – see conditions of use)
- Awesome Clip Art for Educators http://www.awesomeclipartforeducators.com/
- Pics4Learning http://www.pics4learning.com/
- YotoPhoto – search engine for finding free to use photographs and images (make sure you read individual conditions of use) http://yotophoto.com/
- Free Images to use on Websites / printed materials (again read the conditions of use) http://www.freeimages.co.uk/
Many software programmes will have their own tools for producing slideshows – but here are some other possible resources:
- Slideshow Wizard – for creating an html slide show for your webpage http://www.barelyfitz.com/projects/slideshow/wizard/
- SlideshowPro for flash (You will require Flash MX 2004, Flash MX 2004 Professional, Flash 8, or Flash 8 Professional to be able to use / create slideshows using slideshow pro) – creates professional looking slideshows for websites this software is for purchase but is not particularly expensive http://www.slideshowpro.net/
Monitoring and Tracking Use of your website:
- Free Web Counter http://www.amazingcounters.com/
- Free Invisible Web Tracker: http://www.statcounter.com/
- Track visitors to your web using Google Maps using a free tool called Gvisit http://www.gvisit.com/. Although Gvisit is free – it only shows the last 20 locations. You can for a small payment upgrade this. Here is an example of a Gvisit map for Geobytes.
- Clustr maps http://clustrmaps.com/ – a free hit counter showing visitors on a map.
- GeoVisitors – another free tool for mapping visitors to your site http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/geovisitors/
- Google Gadgets to add to your Homepage – maps, calendar, wikipedia searches, time and date etc.. lots to choose from… http://code.google.com/apis/gadgets/
- Applet Depot http://www.ericharshbarger.org/java/ – some useful free java script applet downloads from Eric Harshbarger (free to use but just require recognition / link back to the Applet depot) (includes clocks, sliding puzzles, site maps, flash cards etc. – worth exploring!)
- A list of current widgets for downloading for use in websites – e.g. calendars, image galleries, contact forms etc.
- Free Web Hosting and Web Tools http://www.bravenet.com/ e.g. guest books, e-mail forums, calendar
- ClassTools.net – a brand new online resource by Russell Tarr launched in August 2006 – provides a way of creating interactive diagrams and games for teaching, learning and revising http://www.classtools.net/welcome.htm – diagrams created can be saved as web pages to be hosted on your own website.